- Introduce lots of aquarium plants to provide extra hiding places (works well for neon fish). Presence of plants also stimulate natural instinct to breed.
- Changing water temperature. (Usually lowering the temperature 2-3degC from the normal 20degC will help to induce spawning for goldfish)
- pH factor (Different species will require different pH condition so check this parameter regularly with aquarium pH test kit to find out the value. Make adjustments accordingly to suit the fish species)
- Increase frequency of water changes (generally this will help to keep the water fresh and clean for the fish to become active and participate in spawning)
- Enrich the diet to include live foods. (Discus fish loves bloodworms and thus it might be a good idea to provide that extra nutrition for them)
- Create enough space for breeding. (Certain fish like arowana is difficult to breed and spawn in home aquarium and thus it is better to find large pond for them. Goldfish breeder also use similar method.)
At times also, it is a good idea to ensure that the ratio of male to female fish is about 1:3 to prevent competition and aggressive behavior towards one another. This is especially true when it comes to guppies and swordtails whereby too many males keep on chasing and cause the female to die of exhaustion.
Suggested reading material.
Interested to find out about koi breeding technique? Learn about the correct method to select the best koi for breeding purposes.